Have you filed your taxes yet? I haven’t. In fact, I rarely get things pulled together this early. But some people do. And it won’t be long before at least a few of them are wondering why their tax refund has shown up.
Well, the good folks over at WiseBread have some answers…
- Errors on your return. Simple errors, like marking down the wrong filing status, entering the wrong social security numbers, or even forgetting to sign your return can delay your refund.
- You owe back taxes. If you owe state or federal taxes from a previous year, the government can simply apply the refund that you’d otherwise get to what you owe.
- You owe child support. Your tax refund can be withheld to cover any outstanding child support that you might owe.
- You defaulted on your student loans. Have you fallen behind on your student loan payments? Well, guess what? The IRS can (and will) turn your refund over to the Department of Education if you default on your student loans.
- They can’t find you. Believe it or not, the IRS is holding $153M in the form of 99k undelivered (and undeliverable) tax refunds. If there’s an error in your mailing address, don’t expect to receive your refund anytime soon.
If you’re wondering where you check might be, and why it hasn’t arrived, try using the “Where’s My Refund?” tool get things sorted out.
Leave a Reply