Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
Today is Memorial Day. In addition to be an important American holiday, Memorial Day also marks the traditional start of the summer driving season in the United States. I thus thought it would be worth taking another look at gas prices.
While gas prices usually jump over Memorial Day weekend and then continue increasing into the summer, the past month has seen steadily declining gas prices. In fact, gas prices topped out at a national average of $3.92/gallon back in April and have since slipped to $3.68/gallon.
Remember when people were worried about paying as much as $5/gallon (or more) for gas? Yeah, me too.
Those fears were largely driven by saber-rattling in the Middle East and concern that rising tensions with Iran could choke off supplies. But a weak global economy has reduced demand and prices have fallen while domestic supplies have risen to their highest levels since 1990.
Despite this (overall) positive news, USA Today is reporting that regional price differences have widened, with prices in some states actually increasing due to refining limitations even though the national averages are declining.
Notably, the West Coast sporting the highest prices in the lower 48 states at $4.34/gallon, with the possibility of reaching all-time highs in the $4.50/gallon range before moderating. In contrast, gas is cheapest in the Deep South (e.g., Columbia, SC is enjoying $3.22/gallon) and prices there could go a good bit lower before all is said and done.
And with that… Have a great Memorial Day.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (693)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (536)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (329)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (288)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (237)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)