Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
Okay, one more post about saving money on vacation travel… The other day I saw Lisa Gill from Condé Nast on the Today Show. She was on with Jean Chatzky and they were talking about how to get the best hotel rates.
One of Gill’s biggest tips was to call the hotel directly instead of relying solely on the internet. I’ve heard this tip time and again and I just don’t buy it.
Yes, there was a time (years ago) when I would occasionally get a better price by calling the individual hotel directly vs. using the toll free number of the chain’s central reservation service. But in recent years? No such luck.
For the most part, I get the exact same rate by calling directly vs. checking prices on the chain’s website (or using a travel aggregator such as Kayak).
One of the big problems it that when you call and ask to make a reservation, many hotels will pawn you off on the chain’s central booking office. And even if they don’t, the rates they quote are no better than what you can find online.
In fact, the last time I tried this, the clerk quoted me rates that were higher than those available online. Not only that, but he couldn’t find the better rates even after I told him about them. His advice? Book online.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (692)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (534)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (325)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (284)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (227)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)