Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
Last night, after dropping off my son at piano lessons, I stopped by Target to pick up a few things. While walking through the parking lot on my way into the store, I witnessed something rather interesting…
A college-aged guy coming out of the store pointed at the ground and said something to his girlfriend. She looked, shrugged, rolled her eyes, and said “Oh, just leave it.” What were they talking about? A dollar bill.
Now, I know that a lot of people will walk past pennies, nickels, or whatever because it’s just not worth the trouble to bend down and them up. But a dollar bill? Would you walk past a dollar bill out in the middle of a parking lot? Or would you stop and pick it up?
If you wouldn’t pick it up, why not? Too much trouble? Or because it’s not rightfully yours? Or something else entirely? Last night, it was clearly the former — the woman’s body language and tone just screamed “I can’t believe you’d even consider picking up something so meaningless as a lowly dollar bill.”
Me? I’d pick it up, put it in my pocket, and continue on my merry way. While a dollar bill is definitely worth the trouble of picking up, it’s not worth the trouble of trying to find the rightful owner. But with a larger amount, well…
Long-time readers might recall the story of the day my wife and I ran across an ID-less wallet containing eleven crisp $100 bills. In that case, there was no way I’d just pocket it and walk away (though I must admit it was tempting). Instead, we helped it find its way back home.
For the record, I left the dollar bill lying on the ground just so I could see what would happen to it. Would someone pick it up? Or would it still be lying there when I came back out? As I approached the door, I saw another guy head down that aisle of the parking lot. And sure enough, as soon as he spotted the bill, he picked it up and headed to his car.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (692)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (534)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (325)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (284)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (227)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)