Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
I’ve shared my view of coupons (and run a poll) here on FCN in the past. While I’m well aware that you can save a decent amount of money on groceries with coupons, we’re just not the coupon clipping sort.
And we’re definitely not into extreme couponing, where the focus tends to be more on how much money you can save vs. buying useful products.
Instead, we prefer to buy (mostly) store brands and we tend to stock up (within reason) when things are on sale.
I thus read with great interest an article on MoneyCrashers.com wherein a self-proclaimed extreme coupon shopper admits that extreme couponing is, for the most part, a waste of time.
The problems that she brings up include:
- Many freebies aren’t that desirable,
- The same things tend to go on sale over and over, meaning that you wind up with huge stockpiles of the same things,
- The practice often leads to hoarding,
- Bargain shopping can lead to unhealthy choices,
- Many “extremists” break the rules, meaning that you probably can’t expect the results you see on TV, and
- Couponing can be a time-consuming obsession.
Of course, you don’t have to take it to the extreme to save money with coupons, but many people do. And those who do are often wasting time in search of “deals” that might be of little or no use to them in the long run.
What do you think? Are you a couponer? If so, have you crossed the line into “extreme” couponing?
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (693)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (536)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (329)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (288)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (237)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)