Adjust Text Size

Figuring Your Taxes Without All of Your Tax Forms

Written by Nickel - One Comment

Every year around this time, I receive messages from readers who are anxious to file file their tax returns. This is especially true if they’re due a refund. And who can blame them? If you’re owed money by the government, you should try to get it back as quickly as possible.

A common question is whether or not you can file your return if you haven’t received all of your tax forms. And the short answer (assuming that you’re e-filing) is that, yes, you can. But I wouldn’t recommend it.

The reason I say this is that, while you can (probably) get the information that should be on things like your W-2 or 1099-INT from your last paycheck or you final bank statement, this info might not match what’s on your official tax form.

And no matter how such mismatches arise, they can spell trouble for you if the IRS receives different information from your employer or bank. You may wind up having to file an amended return or even dealing with an audit.

So be patient. Your forms will arrive soon enough. And if they don’t, check out our earlier posts on how to handle a missing W-2 form and how to handle a missing 1099 form.

Also note that, if you’re filing a paper return, you’re expected to attach a copy of your W-2 to your return. So, in that case, you don’t have a choice but to wait.

Published on January 28th, 2013
Modified on February 4th, 2013 - One Comment
Filed under: Taxes

About the author: is the founder and editor-in-chief of this site. He's a thirty-something family man who has been writing about personal finance since 2005, and guess what? He's on Twitter!

Related articles...

» Lending Club to Issue Revised Tax Documents
» States With No Income Tax
» Missing Tax Paperwork?
» How to Handle Missing Tax Forms
» What If You’re Not Going to Get Your Taxes Done in Time?
» How Are You Filing Your Income Taxes?
» How to Get Missing Tax Forms
» IRS Not Mailing Forms This Year

Was this article useful? Please sign up to receive our content via e-mail:

You will receive only the daily updates, and can unsubscribe at anytime.

One Response to “Figuring Your Taxes Without All of Your Tax Forms”

  1. 1
    Lance @ Money Life and More Says:

    I’d also mention that if you’re anxiously waiting to file your return to get your refund you might want to look into changing your withholding amounts. If you have the correct amount withheld you won’t owe taxes or receive a refund!

Leave a Reply

Because rates and offers from advertisers shown on this website change frequently, please visit referenced sites for current information. This website may be compensated by companies mentioned through advertising, affiliate programs or otherwise.
FiveCentNickel User Survey