Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
Every year around this time, I receive messages from readers who are anxious to file file their tax returns. This is especially true if they’re due a refund. And who can blame them? If you’re owed money by the government, you should try to get it back as quickly as possible.
A common question is whether or not you can file your return if you haven’t received all of your tax forms. And the short answer (assuming that you’re e-filing) is that, yes, you can. But I wouldn’t recommend it.
The reason I say this is that, while you can (probably) get the information that should be on things like your W-2 or 1099-INT from your last paycheck or you final bank statement, this info might not match what’s on your official tax form.
And no matter how such mismatches arise, they can spell trouble for you if the IRS receives different information from your employer or bank. You may wind up having to file an amended return or even dealing with an audit.
Also note that, if you’re filing a paper return, you’re expected to attach a copy of your W-2 to your return. So, in that case, you don’t have a choice but to wait.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (692)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (534)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (325)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (284)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (227)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)