Adjust Text Size

How to Get Missing Tax Forms

Written by Nickel - One Comment

How to Get Missing Tax Forms

Today is the day. You should’ve received your W-2 for 2012 by January 31st. If you didn’t you were supposed to go ahead and contact your employer to (gently) remind them that they dropped the ball. And then… You were supposed to be patient.

Yes, the IRS is willing to help, but they didn’t want to hear from you until after February 14th. So… If you still haven’t received your forms by today — the 15th — then it’s time to take action.

Start by calling them at 800-829-1040. You’ll be asked for your name, address, city, state, zip code, Social Security number, phone number, and employer’s information.

For the employer, they’ll ask you to provide their name, address, city, state, zip code, and phone number. They’ll also want your dates of employment and an estimate of how much you earned. Do yourself a favor and look up this information in advance so you’ll have it ready when they ask. For your earnings info the best source is probably your final pay stub of 2012.

Hopefully this will be enough. The IRS will contact your employer with a Form 4598 (“Form W-2, 1098, or 1099 Not Received, Incorrect, or Lost”) and you should receive a copy of the Form 4598 along with a Form 4852 (“Substitute for Form W-2 or 1099″) that you can use in case your official forms don’t show up before the filing deadline.

The same goes for 1099 forms that haven’t shown up by the deadline — contact the issuer, then contact the IRS at the customer service number provided above.

But remember, as I’ve mentioned before, you may not due to receive a 1099-MISC if your earnings from that source were less than $600. Similarly, 1099-INT and 1099-DIV forms don’t have to be issued for amounts under $10.

Oh, and if you do finally receive your missing tax forms and the information disagrees with what you reported when you filed, you’ll have to file an amended return using Form 1040X. This is a big bummer, but those are the rules.

Published on February 15th, 2013
Modified on March 2nd, 2013 - One Comment
Filed under: Taxes

About the author: is the founder and editor-in-chief of this site. He's a thirty-something family man who has been writing about personal finance since 2005, and guess what? He's on Twitter!

Related articles...

» Missing Tax Paperwork?
» Figuring Your Taxes Without All of Your Tax Forms
» How to Handle Missing Tax Forms
» How to Handle a Missing 1099 Form
» IRS Not Mailing Forms This Year
» What If You’re Not Going to Get Your Taxes Done in Time?
» Lending Club to Issue Revised Tax Documents
» Getting Ready for Tax Season

Was this article useful? Please sign up to receive our content via e-mail:

You will receive only the daily updates, and can unsubscribe at anytime.

One Response to “How to Get Missing Tax Forms”

  1. 1
    John Says:

    Can you use copies you make of your W 2 and 1099 or do you need originals?

Leave a Reply

Because rates and offers from advertisers shown on this website change frequently, please visit referenced sites for current information. This website may be compensated by companies mentioned through advertising, affiliate programs or otherwise.
FiveCentNickel User Survey