Have you ever received a pay raise only to look back and wonder where the money went? What did you do with your last income tax refund? Do you even remember? When you look at your credit card statement, do you have trouble remembering what you bought to pile up so much debt? You may [...]
Hank Coleman's Articles
Far too many people die without having a will to help dispense their assets after their death. In fact, according to recent studies, almost 70% of Americans die intestate — i.e., without a last will and testament. When you’re assembling an estate plan, a last will and testament should be at the top of your [...]
I’ve always been fascinated to learn how professional athletes handle their finances after their playing days are done. Sadly, many such athletes squander their fortunes and wind up with little more than a huge pile of debt. Whether they survive on a pension, develop new entrepreneurial skills, or find themselves in financial ruin, there are [...]
With the economy continuing to sputter, complete with a seemingly jittery stock market, lower than expected consumer spending, and continued high unemployment, many employers are reticent to offer raises. But that doesn’t mean that they won’t respond positively to a deserving employee who’s in need of a salary bump. So how can you go about [...]
I don’t waste my time checking into locations around town on Facebook. To me, it kind of looks like bragging to your friends about the great places you visit and, more importantly, it doesn’t typically save you money. Checking in to locations on Foursquare, on the other hand, helps me save money at my favorite [...]
I routinely write about financial rules of thumb for building wealth and making your money work for you. Without fail, I’m met with comments that argue, “Those rules only apply in certain cases” or “That’s only the case if certain assumptions hold true.”
Certainly, financial rules of thumb don’t work 100% of the time, and situations [...]
Saving money on car insurance or home insurance is one of the most gratifying ways to cut expenses. After all, it’s not like dropping cable or eating out less. If all goes well, you save money and it doesn’t even feel like penny-pinching. Shopping around regularly for lower premiums has a high payoff for the [...]
I recently came across a coworker who was burning the midnight oil. I thought that I was the only one who had to work late that night. When I asked him what he was doing, he told me that he did not have an internet connection at home, so he was using our work internet [...]
If you need to move but don’t want to sell your home, you have other options. The rental market has been heating up, and rents have been keeping up with (if not outpacing) inflation, rising almost 3% annually around the country. Renting your home instead of selling it may be a great way to make [...]
My job is requiring me to move to a new town. So, my wife and I are faced with what seems to recently be the newest typical American family dilemma. What should we do with the home that we bought almost four years ago? While it can be hard to figure out whether to buy [...]
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest?
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter?
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage?
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007?
How to save money on insurance
- What Nelson Mandela can teach you about your finances
- Bank review: American Express Bank
- Preaching financial moderation
- Stuffing Coal Into Scammers' Stockings
- Money-saving tips for the holidays
- 10 Credit Card Pitfalls To Avoid This Holiday Shopping Season
- R.I.P. Black Friday?
- What do you consider risk?
- Anybody up for a 100-thou Dow?
- Letting go of financial stress