Social media has changed our lives in many ways, but here’s one nobody probably foresaw: criminals brazenly boasting about their deeds on Facebook. Some misdeeds are probably more humorous than deadly, like Michael Baker, who siphoned gas from a Jenkins, KY police cruiser, and then posted a video on the site with many eyes, complete with [...]
Archive for the ‘Consumer’ Category
…And What You Can Do About It
We live in a complex world where many things happen around us that we’re at a loss to understand or explain. High CEO compensation, soaring health care costs, a biased media and politicians being bribed are but a few of the things we see wrong with the world. Those [...]
As soon as we signed the contract to buy our first home, I started dreaming about furnishing it. After years of drooling over pretty furniture catalogs, I finally had a place to decorate. I have also been saving money specifically to furnish our house and, as a part of that fund, I have been collecting furniture store gift [...]
We are right in the middle of the engagement season. According to the wedding planning website theknot.com, 39 percent of weddings begin with a proposal between Thanksgiving and Valentine’s Day. Everyone wants to buy the perfect ring. Being one of the most expensive purchases we make in our life, it is important to plan ahead and [...]
All of us, I’m sure, are busy shopping and planning for gifts for all the people we care about. In the process, we don’t want to end up in a situation where we are happy for just one month and but are left paying December’s credit card bill throughout the next year. So here is [...]
Planning done, lists itemized, tasks assigned, routes all mapped out and the game plan is ready to go. I am not talking about a military operation; I am talking about one of the most popular retail holidays in the US - Black Friday, a day when seemingly rational people go mad in the pursuit of deals.
This post comes from Cathy at our partner site Quizzle.com.
If you’re a driver, you’ve undoubtedly thought about how much it costs to buy a car. Maybe you’ve lusted after a $500,000 Lamborghini, while knowing you can only afford a $20,000 Honda Civic. And you’ve probably considered the cost of purchasing a car when you’ve created [...]
This post is from staff writer Suba Iyer.
Do you spend more when you go out with friends than when you shop alone?
Did you go to a particular restaurant with a group of friends just because you didn’t want to be labeled a tightwad by bringing up how expensive it is?
Welcome to the world of peer [...]
This post is from new staff writer William Cowie.
Prom inflation? There’s such a thing now? Seriously? Yep.
Visa evidently thinks prom spending is significant enough that they’re spending money doing an annual survey about how much people are going to spend on proms.
The 2013 report just came out a few weeks ago. What did it say?
Over the past week or so, I’ve discovered the joys of the Freakonomics podcast. I read and enjoyed the book Freakonomics shortly after it was released, but it took me years to discover the Freakonomics podcast.
One of the beauties of this podcast is that not only do I enjoy it but my kids are (more [...]
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest?
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter?
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage?
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007?
How to save money on insurance
- Which fitness band is best for you?
- How Expensive Is Your Ego?
- Is borrowing money a form of addiction?
- Spring break on a bare minimum budget
- News flash: You are now allowed to spend retirement savings
- Money mistakes to avoid in your 20s
- Precious metals: The effect of QE tapering on gold and silver
- MyRA Exposed!
- Are you investing or betting?
- How to keep your pets safe this winter