This is a guest post from J.D. Roth, who founded the blog Get Rich Slowly in 2006. Roth wrote Your Money: The Missing Manual and is the “Your Money” columnist for Entrepreneur magazine. His latest project is a year-long course on how to master your money, which explains how to slash costs and boost income [...]
Archive for the ‘Planning’ Category
Yes, I know we’re just past last year’s tax season, but good tax planning works only if we start early enough for the current year. Having last year’s tax return still fresh in memory gives us a great start for next year’s tax planning.
Understand how your income is being taxed
Do you know what your effective tax [...]
As parents, we pick up a fair amount of information from other parents. There’s some good advice, some bad advice, and then there are opinion surveys.
Even though I tend to second-guess the way some of the questions are phrased, I like opinion surveys because they are a window into what large numbers of other people are [...]
This is the time of year when I annually confer with my financial adviser. As I drove to meet him in his office a couple weeks ago, I had reason to expect we’d both be in jovial moods. The stock market’s performance over the past year has been stellar, after all, and my account has [...]
It is time to plan summer vacations. If you are planning to fly to your destination, now is the best time to start setting up price alerts for the plane tickets and signing up for credit cards if you want to use the miles and perks that come with carrying a particular airline card. With an [...]
The year 2013 was a milestone for me with lots of life changes. As I step deep into my 30s now, I thought it might be interesting to take a look back at my 20s. If I could go back and give my 22-year-old self some sage money advice (I was just out of college and [...]
It’s that time again, time for the inevitable turn-of-the-year vows to eat smarter, exercise more and be nicer to friends and family. One in a hundred may actually keep those commitments and become healthier, better people in the process.
Others may focus on becoming financially healthier, promising themselves they will look harder for the best credit [...]
I have a brother who is a history teacher, and a son who is on his way to becoming one. For me, history was one of my least favorite subjects in school, but now it represents a major portion of my reading. Studying financial history early in my career may have been the turning point.
When I [...]
Sustainability has become a key concept in environmental and resource-management circles. It’s also a good goal for your personal financial practices.
I’m sure it once seemed as if the world contained an endless reservoir of oil; but by the end of the 20th century it was clear that when people draw on a resource faster than [...]
Nelson Mandela is one of the few individuals who single-handedly changed the course of human history in a profound way. Unlike other famous leaders, such as Genghis Khan, Hitler or Napoleon, he altered the course of our nation (I’m South African) by eschewing all the traditional political weapons of mass destruction: revolt, violence and revenge. [...]
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest?
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter?
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage?
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007?
How to save money on insurance
- Enter a new chapter in personal finance success
- Make an appointment with yourself to manage your money
- Time to think about taxes, again!
- 5 Vehicles With the Longest Lifespans
- How your life is changing in a Heartbleed
- Parents' attitudes toward money and kids
- 10 Questions for … a Business Coach
- Worst-case-scenario playbook
- How to rear money-smart kids
- Smartphone apps to help you avoid traffic