This post is from staff writer Suba Iyer.
Memorial Day weekend has officially kicked off the summer travel season. The wet weather is Portland, Ore. is making me dream of all the sunny vacations I could possibly take. I almost planned a last-minute vacation for the Memorial Day weekend and had to take a pause to [...]
Archive for the ‘Travel’ Category
This post is from staff writer Suba Iyer.
In the past year or two, I’ve written about a nice promo from the British Airways Visa Signature Card from Chase. Well, it seems that promo is back (again).
Here’s how it works:
Start by applying for the card. Once approved, you’ll receive 50k bonus Avios after you use the card to spend $1k in purchases within [...]
Airlines have long asked for volunteers to give up their seats when a flight is overbooked. But when checking in for a flight recently, I was greeted with a new twist…
This was for a flight on Delta and, as I was going through the online check-in process, I was greeted with a screen soliciting bids [...]
While booking a flight reservation for an upcoming business trip the other day (with my trusty Amex Delta Platinum, of course) I was reminded of the fact that just about everybody wants your money. Not only that, but they’re willing to dream up some pretty bad deals in hopes of getting a piece of it.
The summer camping season is in full swing, and you might be thinking about packing up the family truckster and heading to the woods. But don’t think that skipping the hotel means your forest vacation is going to be cheap: camping can put a serious ding in your wallet!
Here are six tips to soften [...]
This is just a quick tip for those of you that are traveling by car this summer… If you want to shave a few bucks off the cost of your travels, consider using your smartphone to find the best gas prices.
By far the best service that I’ve found for this is GasBuddy.com, which has free [...]
As I write this, we’re in the midst of a road trip that will total roughly 3,000 miles by the time all is said and done. As we were planning this trip, we compared the costs of flying vs. driving and I wanted to share the results with you. Note that I’m just looking at [...]
Okay, one more post about saving money on vacation travel… The other day I saw Lisa Gill from Condé Nast on the Today Show. She was on with Jean Chatzky and they were talking about how to get the best hotel rates.
One of Gill’s biggest tips was to call the hotel directly instead of relying [...]
A little over a week ago, I suggested re-booking your room at the last minute to save money on hotel stays. Today I want to share another method… Using Hotwire to save on hotel rooms.
I’ve talked in the past about using Hotwire (and Priceline) to save money on rental cars, but it wasn’t until recently [...]
As we wind down our family vacation, I wanted to share a tip for saving money when you’re traveling… While it’s always a good idea to book your accommodations well in advance, I also recommend double-checking rates shortly before you depart.
When hotels have excess capacity, they often discount rooms at the last minute to fill [...]
Top Cards by Category
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest?
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter?
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage?
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007?
How to save money on insurance
- How to help your family after you are gone
- Will Social Security be gone before I retire?
- Refund, or no refund?
- This battle of the sexes has no winner
- What to look for when buying an energy-efficient home
- The hidden savings in a rent payment
- How to save money on vacations using social media and new technologies
- How to budget without regular paychecks
- What do you do with your windfalls?
- Don't believe the bull