Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays.
Update1: From USA Today…
JPMorgan Chase (JPM) acquired the banking operations of Washington Mutual, (WM) the nation’s largest savings and loan, for $1.9 billion Thursday night in a deal brokered by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp.
“For all depositors and other customers of Washington Mutual Bank, this is simply a combination of two banks,” said FDIC Chairwoman Sheila Bair. “For bank customers, it will be a seamless transition. There will be no interruption in services, and bank customers should expect business as usual come Friday morning,” Bair said.
While the exact structure of the deal isn’t know, the FDIC apparently won’t be on the hook for any of the costs. That being said, the Wall Street Journal is reporting that it’s likely that “another arm of government” will bear at least a portion of the costs. This makes me wonder if the government might not be picking up some of WaMu‘s bad debt to sweeten the pot for Chase. Details should be forthcoming, as Chase has a conference call scheduled for 9:15 PM EST (about 5 minutes from now).
See also: Is WaMy on the Cusp of Failure?
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (693)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (537)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (330)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (292)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (273)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (237)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)