Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays.
We recently received a letter from Citi about our ThankYou Rewards card. As it turns out, they were writing to let us know that they had closed our account due to an extended period of inactivity:
We have closed your Citi ThankYou account due to the length of time that has passed since it was last used. Please destroy all cards and convenience checks in your possession.
We understand that circumstances chance and this account may not have been meeting your needs. We offer an array of products which may interest you. If you would like to learn more about the products we offer, please call us at 1-800-552-4636.
We hope to have the opportunity to serve you in the future.
This is an old account that we’ve had kicking around for the better part of the last decade. It started out as a Citi Driver’s Edge card that they later converted to a ThankYou card when they re-worked their offerings.
This is a card that I got years ago when they were offering a juicy “5% cash back on all purchases” promo, but I’d long since stopped using it. The account was still open, in part because I’m lazy and in part because it was helping our credit score.
Interestingly, we had just received new cards this past December, and they didn’t expire until 2014 (or 2015?). Honestly, I can’t remember the last time we used this account, but it’s been years.
In the grand scheme of things, this isn’t a huge deal. Our credit score may take a minuscule hit, but we’ll survive. 😉
Regardless, I found it interesting that they’d proactively close our account, and thought it was worth sharing. If you have any inactive cards that you’d like to keep, you may want to use them every once in awhile.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (693)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (537)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (330)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (291)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (273)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (237)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)