Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays.
I’ve received several comments/e-mails asking about whether Congress has decided to make the first time homebuyer tax credit retroactive. If you saw my previous article, you’ll know that Congress has extended the first time homebuyer credit and added a new $6500 credit for existing homeowners.
Is the homebuyer tax credit retroactive… or not?
From everything that I’ve heard, the answer is that it will not be made retroactive. While this might not seem fair, the undelrying logic makes sense… Since the goal is to stimulate sales going forward, it makes no sense to hand out credits to people who have already bought. The likely effective date of the new credit will be December 1, 2009.
The bigger question is whether not the $6500 tax credit will be enough to push existing homeowners into the market for homes and mortgages. Even if it does, I’m not convinced that it will have much of an impact for anyone other than realtors. After all, for every homeowner that goes looking for a house, there will be one more house on the market.
Can you use the $6500 credit to buy a second home?
The only exception to this one-for-one swap will be if people want to use the credit to buy a second home. The primary limitation here is that the new home has to serve as your primary residence. I’m not sure how they’ll enforce this, but it seems like you could buy and move into a new home while keeping your old one as a rental property.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (693)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (537)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (330)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (292)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (273)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (237)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)