Have you finished your taxes yet? We haven’t. I actually entered most of our information into TurboTax at least a month ago, but I never finished the job.
My lack of motivation was due in part to the fact that we owe a significant amount. This was by design, so we have the money on hand. That being said, there’s no point in hurrying if we’re not getting a refund. Sure, I could’ve at finished everything up back when I started, but I didn’t. Thus, I’ll have a busy evening pulling things together.
If you still haven’t filed…
For those that still haven’t filed their taxes, it’s time to issue my annual reminder: don’t forget to sign your tax return! This is less and less of a problem with the move toward e-filing, but… For those that still file a paper return, it’s important to know that the IRS does not consider your return to be valid unless you sign it.
Beyond that, here are thirteen lucky articles to help you last-minute filers:
- TurboTax vs. TaxCut: Which is Better?
- Common Income Tax Deductions
- Twelve Commonly Missed Income Tax Deductions
- Limits on Itemized Income Tax Deductions
- Uncommon Charitable Tax Deductions
- Ten Common Income Tax Credits
- Refundable vs. Non-Refundable Income Tax Credits
- $8, 000 Homebuyer Tax Credit
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit
- How to Claim the Recovery Rebate Credit
- Are Unemployment Payments Taxable?
- Ten Tips for Avoiding an Income Tax Audit
- How to Request an Income Tax Filing Extension
For those that are done…
If you’ve already filed, then it’s time to start looking ahead:
Hopefully you won’t need that last one, but it’s there if you do.