Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays.
As long-time readers may recall, we switched from a traditional PPO health insurance plan to high deductible plan this past fall. We did this for a couple of reasons. First, it dramatically reduced our premiums. Second, it gave use access to a health savings account (HSA), which we intend to use as a Roth-like investment vehicle.
At the same time, this plan completely abolished co-pays and dramatically increased our deductible to $3000. Considering the premium savings, it was a no-brainer for us to switch, especially since our coverage (which is quite good) otherwise remained the same.
Of course, that “no-brainer” didn’t feel particularly good on a day-to-day basis, as we were paying a significant amount of money to our doctors and pharmacy. In fact, we’ve spent so much that we’ve already covered our deductible, and we aren’t even halfway through the year.
The good news is that, from here on out, we’ll only be responsible for 10% of the usual and customary amount. In most cases, this will work out to be less than what we used to spend on our old co-pays.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (693)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (537)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (330)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (291)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (273)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (237)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)