Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays.
Quick question… What’s the going rate for tipping cab drivers?
I ask this because I recently had an odd interaction with a cab driver. I took a relatively short, very simple cab ride that resulted in a fare of just under $22. Since I only had $20 bills, I gave him two of them and asked for $14 in change and a receipt. He handed me the change and then just stared at me without giving me a receipt. When I again asked for a receipt, he sort of furrowed his brow, then dug one out and handed it to me.
Perhaps he was just an odd, somewhat anti-social guy, but I got the feeling that he was somehow unhappy with the transaction. But why? I had tipped him 20%. And it’s not like he had done anything extraordinary — I only had a couple of small bags, and I tossed them in the back seat myself. He didn’t even bother getting out of the car at either end of the trip. I’ve noodled around on the web a bit looking for an answer, and it seems that the going rate is somewhere in the neighborhood of 15%.
So that brings me back to my question… How much should you tip a cab driver?
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (693)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (537)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (330)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (292)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (273)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (237)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)