Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays.
Inflation isn’t as bad as you think. Or at least that’s the premise of a recent article on NPR’s Planet Money.
According to economists, consumers consistently overestimate inflation. And not just here in the United States, either. Rather, this misperception appears to be a common occurrence in many countries. Why? Good question.
More than likely, people tend to overestimate inflation because they mostly associate it with things that they buy most frequently, such as gas or groceries, as opposed to bigger ticket items that may make up a larger part of their budget.
It’s also been well documented that the media tends to provide much more coverage of price spikes vs. instances in which prices are declining. And, of course, there’s a tendency for people to dwell on the negative rather than celebrating the positive.
As an example… Remember last spring when everyone was predicting gas at $5/gallon before the end of the summer? That never happened. Instead, gas prices tumbled through the summer. And yet you never really heard about that. People (the media in particular) just stopped talking about it.
More recently, when prices once again began to tick upward, gas prices were in the news again even though the summer’s predicted price spike never materialized.
What do you think? Do people tend to overestimate inflation? Or do official inflation estimates underestimate the true inflation rate?
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (693)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (537)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (330)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (291)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (273)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (237)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)