Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays.
Is ethanol the solution to our oil dependency woes? The Bush administation seems to think so, but Consumer Reports isn’t so sure. In a recent article on flex-fuel vehicles that run on E85 (85% ethanol, 15% gasoline), CR reported that the fuel economy of their test vehicle (a flex-fuel Chevy Tahoe) dropped by 27%, from a paltry 14 mpg to an even worse 10 mpg, when running on E85 as compared to gas.
When the study was conducted back in August, gas was going for $2.91/gallon. So… After adjusting for the difference in fuel economy, you would’ve ended up paying the equivalent of $3.99/gallon for E85. And that’s only if you can find it… While E85 is common in corn country (the Upper Midwest) it’s a lot harder to find elsewhere. On the upside, there was no change in vehicle performance when running on E85, and E85 burns much cleaner than straight gas, so it produces many fewer smog-causing pollutants.
Perhaps the biggest problem right now is that the production of flex-fuel vehicles is setting the stage for a net increase of gasoline consumption. The reason for this is that automakers get fuel-economy credits for every flex-fuel vehicle that they build. Thus, even if these vehicles never run on E85, the automakers get to pump out even more gas-guzzling SUVs just for having produced them. How’s that for reducing our dependency on foreign oil?
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (693)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (537)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (330)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (291)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (273)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (237)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)