Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays.
I updated our account in Quicken over this past weekend. In doing so, I was able to get a better look at the “real world” performance of my Lending Club portfolio. According to Lending Club, my net annualized projected returns by Grade A-C of 5.11% – 9.29% (be sure to check the Lending Club website for up to date information).
According to Quicken, however, I’m running at a lower rate. Why the difference? The primary cause of this difference has been laziness on my part resulting in an uninvested balance that hasn’t been earning any interest.
When I transfer money in, I don’t always get around to investing it right away, and when payments come in, I sometimes let them accumulate for awhile before re-investing. Unfortunately, Lending Club doesn’t pay any interest on your idle funds.
While it would be great if they did pay interest on your uninvested balance, there are apparently a number of regulatory hurdles that a non-bank must clear in order to do so. The good news is that, as your portfolio grows, a small uninvested balance has much less of an impact.
Regardless, the lesson here is to actively invest/reinvest any available funds if you want to maximize your return. The good news is that Lending Club has an auto-reinvest function (see below) which will automatically create a new investment order when you have funds available, and then e-mail you when it’s ready.
I haven’t really used the reinvest function because I prefer to hand-select my loans. However, I could (and probably should) use it to at least remind when I have funds available. Once I get the notification, I can always login and customize the order. Open a Lending Club account today.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (693)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (537)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (330)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (292)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (273)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (237)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)