Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays.
I finally got around to updating Quicken over the weekend, so I thought I’d put together another update of Lending Club investment performance, this time covering through the end of May. I neglected to note my net annualized return (NAR) at the end of the month, but it was in the mid-8% range. According to Quicken, my real-world return was through the end of May 2011 was 8.30%.
For background, I’ve been using Lending Club for a little over two years now. As of my last update, my portfolio looked like this:
- 363 loans were current
- 64 loans had been paid off
- 4 loans were 16-30 days late
- 13 loans were 30-120 days late
- 8 loans had defaulted and/or been charged off
As of now (technically, at the end of May), it looks like this:
- 336 loans are current
- 88 loans have been paid off
- 2 loans are currently 16-30 days late
- 13 loans are currently 30-120 days late
- 13 loans have defaulted and/or been charged off
As you can see, I’ve suffered another five defaults and have had some additional loans go late, such that I have a similar number of late loans now (15) as I did then (17). If you total up the two reports, you’ll notice that I’ve invested in 452 notes total, and haven’t recently added anything to my portfolio.
The lack of additional notes is by design. I’ve been too busy to put enough time into picking notes, and I’ve also been less than thrilled with some recent changes to the lending platform, so I’ve stopped putting in new cash, and have also been pulling any cash that accrues out to our savings account.
Given that the average age of my portfolio is still increasing – especially since I’ve stopped adding new notes – I expect to see the default rate continue to creep upward. At the same time, I expect my returns to drift downward. That being said, I’m fairly happy with my current returns.
What about you? If you’re a Lending Club investor, I’d love to hear about your experiences.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (693)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (537)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (330)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (292)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (273)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (237)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)