Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays.
As I noted a week ago, both the House and the Senate have voted to suspend the Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) for 2009. Unfortunately for those hoping for relief in 2008, this news was too little, too late. That being said, the Treasury Department has the authority to grant RMD relief for 2008, and they’ve apparently been studying their options.
While I haven’t heard anything official one way or another, a reader named Howard has been in touch with the legislative staff of the House Ways and Means Committee. According to him, the Treasury has decided that there’s nothing that they can do for 2008 (see comments here and here). So… Assuming he’s correct, those hoping for an RMD waiver in 2008 are out of luck.
Not sure what the heck we’re talking about?
Check out “What is a Required Minimum Distribution (RMD)?” In short, it’s a mandatory withdrawal that retirees have to take from their retirement accounts once they reach the age of 70-1/2, and there has been concern that retirees who didn’t take their RMD early in the year would be forced to withdraw a disproportionate amount of their funds.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (693)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (537)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (330)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (291)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (273)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (237)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)