Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays.
I just ran across an article in Bottom Line/Personal by Sid Kirchheimer that’s chock full of tips on how to save on medical care. While it’s not available online, some of the tips are good enough that I thought I’d create a mini-series and run through them here. Here goes…
Tip #1: Negotiate — If you don’t have health insurance, as your doctor for a discount. Apparently only 13% of patients bother doing this but, when they do, the majority receive a discount. In fact, pretty much all insured patients automatically receive such discounts, as major insurers have negotiated ‘Usual, Customary, and Reasonable‘ (= reduced) prices for pretty much everything. We’ve never had to deal with this one since we’ve always had good health insurance. However, it definitely seems like it’s worth a try. The worst they can do is say no.
Tip #2: Get blood tests done at the lab — If you need blood work done, you’ll often end up paying for a doctor’s visit plus added (and inflated) fees for drawing the blood and running it to the lab. If your doctor won’t waive these fees, another option is to go directly to the lab to have the test done (your doctor should be able to supply the necessary paperwork). We’ve done this ourselves in the past, although in our case we didn’t have to ask — were referred directly to the lab by the doctor.
Stay tuned for more tips for saving on medical care.
[Source: Bottom Line/Personal]
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (693)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (537)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (330)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (292)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (273)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (237)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)