Adjust Text Size

State and Federal Income Tax Arbitrage

Written by Nickel - 4 Comments

Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays.

As I noted earlier this week, today is the deadline for second quarter estimated tax payments. Since we’ve experience a relatively sizable uptick in income that’s not subject to withholding, we’re actually on our own for a good bit in the way of taxes. That being said, we can can actually hold back a good bit of this money until taxes are due next spring, allowing us to earn interest on the difference. The key here is to pay enough to avoid an underpayment penalty, but beyond that there’s no need to pay more than you want. Just be sure that you set aside sufficient funds to cover your tax bill when it comes due at the end of the year. In our case, we’re earmarking 50% of net profits to go into a special account to cover our SEP-IRA contributions as well as our state and federal tax liabilities (we make our estimated payments out of that account and will then pay the balance due from it at tax time).

Published on June 15th, 2007 - 4 Comments
Filed under: Taxes

About the author: is the founder and editor-in-chief of this site. He's a thirty-something family man who has been writing about personal finance since 2005, and guess what? He's on Twitter!

Comments (scroll down to add your own):

  1. Great! don’t cough oup the money till you have to.

    I do the same with federal. I set my exeptions to 25 (so I pay no federal tax) and then max out my 401k. Then, I use IRSs withholding calculator to calc and pay all my taxes in the last month of the year.

    Comment by Anonymous — Jun 15th 2007 @ 3:40 pm
  2. Brok – 25 exemptions is aggressive. I use 12 exemptions, and it knocks down my withholding pretty well. I’ve read that 12 is the most you can submit on a W-4 without providing additional information.

    I plan on owing $12k – $15k in taxes next April, interest/penalty free.

    Comment by Anonymous — Jun 16th 2007 @ 3:13 pm
  3. And to think I’ve been paying taxes the hard way all these years.

    Is this a great country or what?

    Comment by Anonymous — Jun 17th 2007 @ 3:08 am
  4. The converse is also true. If you owe the state money in a calendar year, you can take it as an extra deduction against your federal income, since it was a state income tax paid.

    Comment by Anonymous — Jul 28th 2007 @ 12:45 am

Leave a comment

Because rates and offers from advertisers shown on this website change frequently, please visit referenced sites for current information. This website may be compensated by companies mentioned through advertising, affiliate programs or otherwise.