Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays.
Today marks two weeks until Black Friday. Are you ready?
While I’ve never been much of a Black Friday shopper, preferring instead to laze around and take the day off, I know that many of you love thrill of the chase.
If you’re in the market for electronics, you can get some screaming hot deals on Black Friday. But did you know that things like TVs are usually cheaper during the two weeks before and the week after Black Friday than at any other time during the holiday shopping season?
That’s according to Dan de Grandpre, the Grand Poobah of DealNews. In fact, the only cheaper time to buy a TV than during those three weeks (again, the two before and one after Black Friday) is in May when new models are typically introduced and the old ones are marked down.
This tendency for the best deals to bracket Black Friday actually applies to most higher-end electronics. In fact, according to de Grandpre, Black Friday is typically a time to buy cheap stuff at cheap prices. But if you have more expensive tastes, you can do better.
As for toys, the best times to buy are typically during the second and third weeks of December. Of course, you run the risk of missing out on this year’s hottest toys, but that’s when retailers are looking to reduce inventory. After that, prices go back up as stores seek to profit from last minute shoppers.
Cyber Monday, which seemingly appeared out of thin air back in 2005 or so, can be a good time to score deals and it’s certainly more convenient. That being said, I’ve never found much of interest on Cyber Monday.
One potentially useful tip: Apparently certain airlines held fare sales on Cyber Monday last year, so if you’re planning on traveling in the couple months that might be a good time to check flight prices.
And with that… I’ll simply wish you good luck on your holiday shopping. Just be careful to keep your spending in check. The last thing you need to do is wake up on Christmas morning with a boatload of credit card debt.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (693)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (537)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (330)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (291)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (273)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (237)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)