Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays.
Every year my parents give our kids a variety of Christmas gifts including money for their bank accounts, some clothes, and a toy of some sort. But this year they decided to forego the latter, and give the kids gift cards instead, such that they could pick out their own fun stuff.
Out of curiosity, I asked our kids what sort of gift card they’d like to have if they were to (hypothetically) receive one as a Christmas gift. I was expecting answers along the lines of Toys’R’Us, Target or Wal-Mart. I was therefore pretty surprised when our five year old answered “Kroger” (in case you don’t know, that’s a grocery store).
When I asked him why he wanted a gift card to Kroger, he answered “Because they have all kinds of food.” Wow. That’s a pretty practical, down-to-earth answer for a kindergartner. In case you’re curious, he ended up with a Toys’R’Us gift card. Thus, he was able to buy that Might Morphin’ Power Ranger that he’s been dreaming about rather than having to spend his Christmas gift on groceries.
On a related note, when I asked our eight year old what he wanted to get his mom for Christmas, he thought about it and then replied: “Well, she likes to shop. How about a gift card to Toys’R’Us so she can by diapers for the baby?” Needless to say, mom didn’t get a Toys’R’Us gift card. But apparently practicality runs in the family.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (693)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (537)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (330)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (291)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (273)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (237)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)