Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays.
When it comes to choosing a credit card, I frequently hear people advising others to get a Visa card because they’re so widely accepted. While I definitely buy this argument when it comes to comparing Visa vs. American Express or Discover cards, I’m much less convinced when it comes to Visa vs. MasterCard.
While it’s true that Visa is generally recognized as the most widely accepted type of credit card, does the Visa vs. MasterCard distinction really matter for casual credit card users? I mean, sure, we’ve had it drilled into our head that Visa is the “official card of the Olympics,” but a much bigger issue for me is that Sam’s Club only accepts MasterCard. And does the fact that it’s one or the other outweigh the fact that you might not receive a long 0% balance transfer offer or a low ongoing interest?
Curious as to what snags others have run into, I asked my Twitter followers for their real world experiences with respect to Visa vs. MasterCard acceptance. Here are some of their responses:
- @IntuitiveJamie: I know the Dollar General Stores in MS only take Mastercard and not Visa.
- @faerievert: Yes, twice in Brazil at small restaurants Visa was the ONLY credit card option.
- @pewpewpew: The Olympics. They only accept Visa.
- @PFJourney: My friend couldn’t pay his speeding ticket because the law enforcement office would only take Visa. I thought that was strange.
- @KyleAAA: yeah, in South America… never in the US that I can recall.
This is far from a scientific survey, and it’s not exactly a huge sample, but it’s clear that the results are mixed. It seems that the biggest problems with MasterCard acceptance come overseas. It’s hard to say if this is a South American issue in particular, or if that’s a byproduct of the small sample size.Whichever card you might choose but always have a check on your credit report😉
And now I’m throwing it open to you, dear readers. Have you ever run into situations where a merchant will accept Visa but not MasterCard? If so, please share the details by leaving a comment.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (693)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (537)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (330)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (292)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (273)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (237)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)