Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays.
Wait! If you’re looking for the deadline for filing your 2011 federal income tax return, click here instead: When are 2011 Taxes Due?
Otherwise, read on…
As you’re likely aware, income taxes are due on April 15th of each year. If April 15th happens to fall on a weekend or a federal holiday, then the filing deadline is pushed back to the next business day.
This year, however, April 15th falls on a Friday – a day which is neither a weekend, nor a federal holiday – and yet your income taxes are not due on that day. Instead, the filing deadline is April 18, 2011. What gives?
As it turns out, Washington, D.C. will be celebrating Emancipation Day on April 15th, 2011 – a day earlier than the usual 16th because that’s a Saturday. Emancipation Day marks the anniversary of the signing of the Compensated Emancipation Act by President Lincoln in 1862, which freed the slaves in the District of Columbia.
Emancipation Day was made an official public holiday in the District of Columbia back in 2005, and it was also responsible for pushing back the tax filing deadline from April 16 to April 17 in 2007.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (693)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (537)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (330)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (291)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (273)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (237)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)