Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays.
Have you filed your taxes yet? I haven’t. In fact, I rarely get things pulled together this early. But some people do. And it won’t be long before at least a few of them are wondering why their tax refund has shown up.
Well, the good folks over at WiseBread have some answers…
- Errors on your return. Simple errors, like marking down the wrong filing status, entering the wrong social security numbers, or even forgetting to sign your return can delay your refund.
- You owe back taxes. If you owe state or federal taxes from a previous year, the government can simply apply the refund that you’d otherwise get to what you owe.
- You owe child support. Your tax refund can be withheld to cover any outstanding child support that you might owe.
- You defaulted on your student loans. Have you fallen behind on your student loan payments? Well, guess what? The IRS can (and will) turn your refund over to the Department of Education if you default on your student loans.
- They can’t find you. Believe it or not, the IRS is holding $153M in the form of 99k undelivered (and undeliverable) tax refunds. If there’s an error in your mailing address, don’t expect to receive your refund anytime soon.
If you’re wondering where you check might be, and why it hasn’t arrived, try using the “Where’s My Refund?” tool get things sorted out.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (693)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (537)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (330)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (292)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (273)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (237)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)