Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays.
Not quite a year ago, FCN readers rated Zecco as the best online broker (here’s my Zecco review). And then it happened… A few weeks back, Zecco made some pretty significant changes to their business model.
I meant to write this up back when it was happening, but it somehow slipped off my radar. In short, they’ve raised the minimum balance requirement for qualifying for free trades. Here’s the scoop:
Our base commission of $4.50 per trade is one of the lowest among any major only brokerage in the industry, and we continue to offer one of the best deals to retail investors. However, we have not been immune to last year’s market difficulties. Retail stock and options trades as well as interest income have all been hit by the economic crisis, and we have found that can simply no longer provide free stock trading to as many people as before.
As a result, I’m writing to tell you that as of March 1st, 2009, we’re increasing the minimum level of assets needed to earn 10 free trades per month to $25,000. [Note: It used to be $2,500.] At the same time, we’re adding a new way to get free trades: customers who make at least 25 total trades per month will also qualify for 10 free stock trades per month.
Here’s a screenshot of their new commission structure:
Well, that certainly changes things… The minimum balance requirement has increased 10x. In other words, an awful lot of customers, including pretty much all beginning investors, will now have to pay for their trades.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (693)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (537)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (330)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (291)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (273)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (237)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)