Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
If you’re interested in opening an online savings account, check this out:
FNBO Direct, Everbank. and ING Direct have all received a four star rating from Bankrate, indicating a high level of solvency and stability. If you’d like to see the complete rundown, please check out my updated list of the safest online banks.
Beyond this, ING Direct’s parent company has received high marks in terms of protecting customers from identity theft. In talking about how well different corners of corporate America do when it comes to protecting their customers, the NY Times Bits weblog put together a rundown of the estimated annual number of “incidents” related to identity theft per billion dollars in deposits for each of the 25 largest banks in the United States.
Other notables included Bank of America, which was second worst with 17.646 incidents/billion, Washington Mutual (3rd worst) with 16.163 incidents/billion, JP Morgan/Chase/Bank One (4th worst) with 11.306 incidents/billion, Wells Fargo (5th worst) with 10.117 incidents/billion, US Bank (6th worst) with 9.360 incidents/billion, and Citibank (7th worst) with 7.450 incidents/billion.
One thing that you’ll notice is that, even though these data are scaled against the size of the bank, it’s still the biggest banks that are doing the worst. In fact, the seven worst banks listed above are amongst the nine largest banks on the list.
Despite ING Direct’s major online presence, ING is the fifth smallest bank on the list. This makes me wonder if there’s a meaningful difference in security practices, or if bigger banks are disproportionately targeted by fraudsters because they’re so large and well known.
*Note that this is a rating of each bank overall, and not just their online endeavors.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (692)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (534)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (325)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (284)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (227)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)