Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays.
Hello and welcome. I’m “nickel”, and I’m the guy who runs this place. I’m a thirty-something family man with a loving wife and four wonderful kids. I’ve been sharing my thoughts on various topics related to money and finance here on FiveCentNickel since May 1, 2005.
While my wife and I have always been pretty good with money, things really clicked for me back in 1997 when we decided to start a family. At the time, I was reading a book called “Time is Money” and the underlying message really resonated with me.
I was inspired to start tracking our finances in Quicken (believe it or not, I have complete data going back to January 1, 1997) and I also started reading books about money and investing. I even spent a good bit of time reading over at The Motley Fool on a 28.8k dialup connection. We didn’t have much money at the time, but we managed to finish school, start a family, etc. without taking on any debt (other than our mortgage when we eventually bought our house).
Over the years, our family and our finances have both grown. And then one fateful day during the Spring of 2005, I picked up a copy of MacAddict and read an article about weblogs in general, and WordPress in particular. The rest, as they say, is history.
So… Now you know a bit about me and where I’m coming from. If you ever wish to get in touch with me for any reason, please feel free to use my contact form.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (693)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (537)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (330)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (292)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (273)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (237)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)