Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays.
Well, just this week they struck again. This time the target was Discover. The penalty? $200M in refunds to 3.5M customers — and average of almost $60 per affected customer — plus $14M in penalties payable to the FDIC and the CFPB. They’re also being required to change their marketing practices.
Why are they being punished? Because they engaged in shady sales tactics related to their credit-protection products. According to the CFPB, they:
“determined that Discover engaged in deceptive telemarketing tactics to sell the company’s credit card add-on products.”
For their part, Discover says the settlement was to:
“resolve previously disclosed matters related to the marketing of certain credit protection products sold by telephone.”
The refunds cover a period spanning late 2007 through mid 2011 and related to products including credit monitoring services, ID theft protection, and payment-protection programs.
According to the complaint, Discover reps implied that the services were free benefits, skipped over details regarding costs and program terms, and even signed people up without their consent.
No wonder the banks fought so hard against the creation of the CFPB. It used to be the fox watching the hen house. Now there’s at least an impartial entity keeping an eye on things.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (693)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (537)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (330)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (292)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (273)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (237)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)